Now You're Cooking: Red Wine Lollipops October 26th, 2015
In the second installment of Jag's Steak & Seafood's Now You're Cooking series you'll learn how to make a sweet adult treat... just in time for Halloween! These red wine lollipops are perfect for an adult Halloween party or any grown-up gathering.
Not only are they a fun and unique party novelty, these red wine lollipops are easy to make (10 steps) and require few ingredients (4). So no worries if you aren't as experienced in the kitchen as Jag's award-winning chef, Michelle Brown!
Tip: While the red wine lollipops shown in this article are made using heart shaped molds, you could make them in any shape you desire. For Halloween consider spooky shapes like bats or pumpkins. For no special occasion you can find plain circle molds to use.
- - 1/2 cup of heavy bodied red wine
- - 3/4 cup sugar
- - 4 tablespoons light corn syrup
- - Pinch of sea salt
- - Heart shaped mold pan
- - Non-stick cooking spray
- - White cookie sticks
- - Candy thermometer
1. In a small heavy duty sauce pan, add 1/2 cup of red wine.
2. Cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
3. Once wine is reduced to 1/3 cup, add sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
4. Cook on medium heat until wine mixture reaches a temperature of 275 degrees.
TIP: Check the temperature regularly with the candy thermometer. You do not want the mixture to get any hotter than 275 degrees as it will burn quickly.
5. Grease heart molds with a non-stick cooking spray.
6. Place cookie sticks in slots and push halfway into heart molds.
7. Using a spoon, carefully start scooping wine mixture into heart molds.
WARNING: Be careful with this step as the wine mixture is super hot!
8. Twist cookie sticks in mixture so that the wine mixture coats both sides.
9. Set mold in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
10. Once hardened, remove the red wine lollipops from the mold and enjoy!
WARNING: Due to the wine in these lollipops, they should be kept out of reach of children.
Looking for more tricks and treats for Halloween? Be sure to join Jag's on October 30th and 31st for a spooktacular celebration!
We'll be kicking things off on Friday, October 30th with a Rock n Roll, dia de los muertos theme. In honor of that, our Friday happy hour gourmet buffet will have a Mexican theme. See the menu here. Then at 9:30 the talented Southern Saviour band will take the stage so that you can dance till you drop dead! Stick around till the witching hour (midnight) to participate in our costume contest. See details and full list of prizes here.
The fun continues Saturday night (Halloween) with great food and drink specials like bloody orange margaritas. At 9:30, the Webster's will be live to carry us through the night. Midnight marks the start of another costume contest with more frighteningly good prizes!
We hope to see you there!
Authored By: Jag's